Sunday 3 June 2012

Frogeyes for a midget

Now, I've always been keen on the look of the Sprites famous frog eyes.  In fact I was looking for a Sprite when I bought the current Midget. In the end the premium was just too much and I'd only have ended up fitting a 1275cc (or bigger) engine, disk brakes, etc.  In the spirit of the Frogeye Sprite, and for additional rally style, I decided to fit some enormous spot lights to ABW.

After some research, then searching, I selected a pair of seven inch spot lights from Sim. These are very similar to the “Oscar” lamps from Cibié, which were popular on rally cars in the 1960s and 1970s (and are still available today). The Oscar is a circular auxiliary driving lamp specifically designed to combine excellent performance. A distinguishing feature is the classic design with a chrome ring.

SIM seven inch spot lights

Having removed the front (and rear bumpers) – see previous article ("De-bumper or not de-bumper?") – the front bumper mounts were the obvious place to mount the lights.  It took several attempts to manufacture a bracket stiff enough to offer adequate support for the large lights.  L-shaped stainless angle brackets were bolted direct to the bumper mounting bolts with a half inch hole facing upwards for mounting the spot lights.

Having fitted the lights, the next task was to wire them up.  This was reasonably straightforward.  However, because I wanted to use halogen bulbs, which draw a fairly high current, I wanted to utilise a relay and some hefty automotive cable. The relay was a 4 pin, 30 amp item. As an aside, some time ago I purchased some decent ratchet crimping pliers; this is just the job that makes them worth every penny spent.  For those interested in similarly fitting spotlights, the wiring diagram is below.


Spotlight wiring diagram

I chose to power the relay from a source that was already available behind the dashboard from the ignition switch.  Thus the spotlights will only operate with the ignition key switched on.  Alternatively, I could have taken the power from the lighting circuit, or specifically the main beam lighting circuit.  I decided to keep it simple and flexible.

I fitted the new spotlights with halogen bulbs.  The fitting was able to take H4 bulbs.  These are duel element (high and low beam) which is a bit of a waste, since only the high beam is wired for use.  However, the bulbs are readily available and also match the halogen bulbs fitted as a conversion to the Midget's headlamps, which means spares can be reduced.  Wiring the H4 bulb is not entirely obvious - the picture below shows which terminal should connect to which socket on the bulb block connector.

Terminal layout for H4 halogen bulb


I was pleased with the switch holder, which was sourced on e-bay.  This looks from the right period and an amber warning bulb was fitted. I attached the switch holder to a sheet of stainless, bridging from the bulkhead to the lower edge of the steel dashboard.  This enabled me to use existing holes, rather than drilling new ones, which may eventually be in the wrong place. For now I positioned the switch centrally, next to the Brantz rally odometer (see previous article: "Rally trip meter tips").  Setting it back just a little looks best.


Period spot light switch and warning light (centre)


I'm happy with the final result.  The output is pretty bright!  The look is sporty; ready for the next regularity rally. Next job:  rear fog light.

Rally lights fitted - ready for action!


No comments:

Post a Comment